Thursday, August 17, 2006

Holiday

A few weeks ago, we went to Canada with a couple we know here. (Pictures pending). I had never been to Canada before so I get to add that to the list of exciting places I have visited. And a stamp on my passport.

Apparently it was a holiday weekend for Canada because everyone said it was a holiday, but no one knew what the holiday was. We asked about 10 people and they had no idea. They just knew that they didn't have to go to work on Monday. When pressing for information the National Park employee said that it was some sort of civic holiday. Really answered our curiosity. We had him call the visitor center and the visitor center had no idea what holiday it was. As my husband muttered "Too much land, not enough history."

Finally while waiting in line for a shower (we were camping), I found a lady who knew what holiday it was. Heritage Day. Apparently the national government tells the province's that they have to have a holiday that weekend, but leave it up to each province what holiday they want to have. So each province is running around making up a holiday and the calendar makers just put civic holiday on the day rather then list each province's holiday.

5 comments:

The Once and Future TC said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Once and Future TC said...

I could totally get on board with that idea. I vote for weekly holidays of our individual choosing. I hereby declare that today is Cold Pizza Day, which is commemorated by staying home from work and eating leftover pizza straight from the fridge.

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow shall be Cheesy But Unpretentious Movie Day, upon which I will see "Snakes on a Plane".

The Once and Future TC said...

Saunders: only if that is preceded by "Drink a Lot of Margaritas Morning." ;)

Anonymous said...

Ah...yet another Cheesy But Unpretentious Movie Day has come to a close. How quickly the holidays fly by! But it was everything I thought it would be...