Wednesday, August 30, 2006

How do you

My grandmother is dying. She only has a month or two left to live in this world. She and my granddad have been married for about 64 years. I have no idea what he will do.

My grandmother and I have butted heads over the years, (we are too much alike is the problem) but there are many things that I respect about her. She built a life with my grandfather for over 60 years. There are few people that have been married that long. She has had multiple surgeries over the years, but she always decides that she is going to get through this and not give up.

She keeps up with fashion and style better then me. Once in high school, she took me Christmas shopping at the Gap and talked about how all the magazines said lime green was the color of the season. I just stared at her. We bought a grey cardigan at my request. She redecorates her house every 10 years (and I inherit her cast offs and am glad to have them).

She wasn't too happy with my choice of A&M at first and wanted me to go to UT. I told her burnt orange clashed with my skin tone.

She adores my husband and is so happy for me. She is so glad that I am where I am.

She was raised on a dirt farm in Oklahoma during the depression. She was born into the Polk family and is proud of their heritage and roots. She loves football. My brothers go watch football games with her, and my husband says she know the game better then him.

She loves parties and throwing them. She truly is a Sothern belle.

Here is a picture of her dancing at my wedding with her nephew.
This is before I walked down the aisle.
I love this one.

5 comments:

Chris and Amber said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris and Amber said...

I'm so sorry, how is she doing? I will keep her and you and your family in my prayers. I know exactly what you are going through. I'm thinking about you! Love ya!

The Once and Future TC said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I love the pictures -- she is glowing with joy.

Louise said...

Hi I was just looking round different blogs and I saw this post. Just wanted to say how sorry I was and how lovely the pictures are.

Misplaced Texan said...

Thank you for your kind comments. I haven't had time to post much, but know that appreciate your words.