Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Strange Names

OK, here is a game everyone can play. I want to hear about some of the strangest names you have come across in your lifetime and Ima Hogg doesn't count. To start you off, I will name some for you.

Lonnie had a coach in high school, Coach Pruner, which would not have been so bad if his first name had not been Forest. As a teacher, he had a student named Velveta. That's right, the processed fake cheese product. There are parents who named their daughter after Velveta cheese.

And last, but not least, if you wanted to name your child what is pronounced "sha-theed," how would you spell it? I had a patient once named that, but spelled Shithead. I am not joking, I wish I was. Some parents named their child Shithead. It was on my patient list and I really thought someone was playing a joke on me.

So please comment on any crazy names you know of. (This is my dirty trick to see how many people read my blog.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once knew a girl who had the last name Hooker. Most of us thought she was pretty lose too. But really, the wierd names I have seen are pretty tame to Shithead :).

Hey I got your call, I keep putting it on my list to call you but things come up :(. So, hopefully one day this week or next I will call you :).

-Amber :)

Chris and Amber said...

My mom went to school with a kid named George Washington but his last name was Pancake, yup, George Washington Pancake. This little boy on our street was named Bubba and it was NOT a nickname the parents said, it is actually on his birth certificate. I don't know, I think yours still win!!;)

Anonymous said...

I went to junior high with a girl named Georgia George. She had a brother named George. That's right, George George. Not as good as Sh_thead, but not bad either. Imagine the confusion on the part of bureaucrats looking at completed forms that required last name first and first name last.

And on a slight tangent, what are the odds that men with the last name of Pentecost would end up teaching at a seminary?

Misplaced Texan said...

I know, that really threw me off when I first saw Dr.Pentecost's name. I had not idea what was up.

Saunders need to share his crazy name story before I do, because it's a good one.

Anonymous said...

OK...I finally got back to your blog after a week or two absence, and will happily oblige.

So...y'know how it's become fashionable in recent years for black children to get names like "Leticia" and "Lecedric" (my mom has a "Lecedric" in her 6th grade class)? I'm not 100% sure on the etymology of these names, but my best guess is that they come from the former French colonies in Africa. (I wonder...does "Lecedric" mean "The Cedric"? :-)

Well anyway, while I find some of these names to be rather euphonious, I think it would be a good idea for these mothers to sanity-check their proposed names for potential other meanings. A friend of mine was at the checkout counter in Kohl's one day, and overheard a black woman scolding her small daughter, "Letrine! Letrine, you get over here right now!".

That's right...she'd named her daughter "toilet". How sad.

Anonymous said...

Stupid Blogger...managed to lose my name. The previous post was me, in case you couldn't tell.

Anonymous said...

My grandmother and her brother and sister were dealt the bad hand as far as names go:

My Grandmother: Tommye
Her sister: George
Her brother: Marion Francis - but everyone in his family called him "MF" for short!

-Lindsay

Anonymous said...

I once knew a guy named "Bob."