Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What the...?

My parents came into town a few weeks ago and spent 10 days with us. We had a fun time driving around and playing lots of Settlers of Catan.

Most of you have met my mother, but for those of you who haven't, my mother is one of the sweetest, gentle and caring people you will ever meet. We took my parents to church while they were here. There is a coffee and pastry time in between services at our church.

So my sweet wonderful mother sees a particular pastry she would like to sample and goes over to the other side of the room. She starts chatting with a woman she meets. She introduces herself as all normal ladies do and asks the other woman her name.

Response: "Oh, you won't remember it, so I'm not going to tell you."

My mother is a little flabbergasted at this point, but in the spirit of good manners attempts to continue the conversation. My mother enjoyed her bit of pastry during the conversation and decided to have another one. After she placed it on her napkin, she was told, "Oh, I was going to have that piece."

At this point, my mother really doesn't know what to do and offers the woman the piece on her napkin which the woman refuses.




And people wonder why we haven't made oodles of friends here in Montana. They don't want to share a muffin or a name!

2 comments:

Francesca said...

What the...is it the altitude? What she "under the influence" of some substance, legal or illegal? Who does that?!? Your poor mom! Unreal.

Make Mine a Triple said...

Awwww. Your poor mumsy. She is just so sweet -- last time I saw her, I felt like inviting her over for tea. And I don't have tea. That other woman sounds like a complete nut.