Sunday, January 29, 2006

Oh, my God! It's Orange!!!! (aka ER visit II)

Here follows the wonderfulness of my one week married anniversary: Mr. M and I went out and picked out a bed, ordered the bed, (to be delivered in a week, in the meantime, yeah for the air mattress) and looked around at couches. We bought a pizza for lunch, went about town and took a nap.

For dinner I think, "hmmm I will heat up that leftover pizza." I read the directions where it says to take the pizza out of the cardboard box to reheat the pizza. I ( the genius) think to myself that my family has heated pizza up numerous times in the box, I ask my new husband his opinion and proceed to heat up the pizza in the box. Yeah, note to self, move the rack in the oven farther away from the heating element. My box of pizza went up in flames as my dear husband is talking on the phone to his mother. Tells her he has to go since there is a fire in the kitchen. In my head, I am thinking that his mother is going to think that I am a total idiot. She calls him back and tells him not to make fun of me, she once made a turkey and couldn't find the insides to take out, went ahead and cooked it, and her dinner guests found the insides.

After Mr. M stops the fire, we go to Wendy's and drive around for about 45 min since our home now reeks of smoke.

At about midnight I notice it hurts a bit to go to the bathroom. I think, hmmm may have a UTI, may go to the doctor tomorrow. By 3:10 am I am in horrible pain, pacing the floor and going to the bathroom every 5 min. I wake up my poor husband to take me to the ER. One nice thing about living in a small town: I arrive to the ER at 3:30, see a doc at 3:50, have a prescription and am out the door by 4:25. Do the math, in and out of the ER in 55 minutes! I am taking an antibiotic and a special muscle relaxer for UTIs. They all warned me that my urine would turn bright orange from the meds. I believed them, I really did, but WOW! Think the color of dial liquid soap only brighter. (and may glow in the dark). That's about the right color.

Now before you all tell me how to avoid UTIs, I have been doing all of the following:
1) Taking cranberry pills
2) Drinking plenty of water
3) Using the bathroom before and after "material relations"

and I still got a UTI, so there is no magical formula.

So at about 6:30 this morning, my pain subsided enough for me to go to sleep. And yes, I asked the pharmacist if these particular meds interacted with oral birth control. They don't. Think God for small blessings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb! That is both hilarious and terrible!!! I'll add "heal deb's pee tract" to the list of prayer requests.

Also---I can't believe your family heats up pizza in the box! You're baking cardboard! Then again, my family thinks it's completely normal to eat any and every kind of food straight from the container (saves on dishes) and then put it back for the next person. Yeah, the first time Jeremy came in the kitchen and saw me eating cold lasagna straight from the pan he was like "Um, dear, ya hungry? You know, you can have a small PLATE if you would like;)- don't worry, we can afford both soap and water;)"

Misplaced Texan said...

Well, I never had a problem with the cardboard before. It USUALLY works better then a pan, because the pan overcooks the pizza and you get burned spots. But I guess that is better then burning up the whole pizza.

Liz said...

All I can say is "stoneware." BTW, do you have any stoneware? Every kitchen should have stoneware. I can get you some. I have an in... ;)

Misplaced Texan said...

Some stoneware is on the way. One of my friends gave me a pizza stoneware for a wedding present, but I have to wait for it to get here. Now I will be practing safer cooking.