Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Small Town Church

A few weeks ago, my Mr. M and I were sitting in church. (Well, we were really standing because the church was singing a hymn, but you get the idea.) This older couple and their adult children then proceeded to come up to us and tell us, "Excuse us, but we usually sit here." Then they just stood there, waiting for us to move.

If I hadn't been so shocked, I might have said something, but we just got our things and moved down the row, and then they acted a bit miffed that they even had to sit next to us. (Come on, I shower at least once a week.)

But now I am questioning if we did the right thing. (By the way, watching an episode of "King of the Hill" is what reminded me of this incident, I am not quite sure what that says about my life.)

Pros and Cons of moving our seats:

Pros:
1) Don't really want to cause a ruckus in church.
2) Don't really want to be rude to the old people.
3) Don't want to make enemies.

Cons:
1) We gave up aisle seats!
2) We are enabling rudeness
3) By enabling the aforementioned rudeness, we are making it harder for other new people to join the church.

This would be much more funny if it wasn't so true. Any thoughts on what my response should have been?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your undoubtedly shocked expressions, and then your silence as you moved (assuming you didn't apologize?), said volumes without risking further confrontation.

Anonymous said...

The previous is me, by the way. You know, me. I typed "L," but it looks like "I," and that's just weird.