Wednesday, March 15, 2006

(Arrg to Sofa Mart III) The Couch Has ARRIVED !!!!!

...but not without drama, of course. Lonnie called on Monday to check on our couch. Note that it is Lonnie calling them, not Sofa Mart calling us.

Sofa Mart: "Oh yes, your couch is in."

Pause in conversation.

Lonnie: "Well, since you deliver to Kalispell on Tuesdays, could you deliver it tomorrow?"

Sofa Mart in a tone of amazement: "You want it tomorrow?"

Lonnie: "We bought the couch in Jan, we have been waiting for it for 6 weeks, yes I want it tomorrow."

Sofa Mart: "Well, .... I will see what I can do."

Does that not inspire me, the customer, with confidence? I mean this is the second couch that they have had to order for us and they are shocked that we would like to be able to sit down in our living room as soon as possible?

On Tuesday (yesterday), I get a phone call that my grandmother is going to have open heart surgery in the AM, stat. So I am upset about my grandmother and then this whole, will I have a couch? Should I fly to Texas? Is there even a plane leaving this state?

6:00 PM, still no couch. We call Sofa-Mart, well they are running late, but they are coming.

7:00 PM, call from the delivery guys. "Well, we are in Polson, it will be 9:00 until we can get there. Do you still want us to come?" Yes, freaking yes. My grandmother doesn't even go to bed at 9:00.

7:15 PM, call from delivery guys. I make Lonnie take it. "Well, this couch won't fit in your door and we are in Polson and ...." They are trying to get out of delivering the couch! They tell Lonnie that the sides don't come off the couch even though we were told that by the sells guy when he was telling us that we could reorder the couch. If the sides don't come off the couch, we would not have reordered it. Lonnie says, "You have come this far, let's try it at least."

9:05 PM, truck arrives with couch. Did you know that if you take the feet off the couch (as my husband had them do) and take the door off (which my husband did) and unscrew the banister in the hall (which my husband had them do), lo and behold, the couch fits in the door! Lonnie found it very interesting that when he was around they could get the couch in the door in less then 10 min. I find it very interesting too. Now everything that Lonnie had them do, is a basic part of being a delivery guy with large items. But they couldn't do it unless the person who isn't supposed to know how to move couches tells them what to do.

End of story: we have a beautiful red couch that is quite comfy, I will never buy any large items from Sofa Mart again, my grandmother is in surgery right now, and I am in Montana at the moment. Don't you just love mediocre endings?

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Hey there, I came across your blog as I was looking for comments on the Missoula Sofa Mart before I hand over my money to them. It's interesting to hear about life in the West (and specifically Kalispell, where my husband is from) from an outsider! And thanks for the info on Sofa Mart.

Misplaced Texan said...

I love the couch, but I would never have them deliever it again. The delevery service they use for Kalispell is contracted out so it is not even their people bringing it out here.

Hope my posts aren't offensive to anyone from Montana! I am sure people feel the same way if they visited where I am from! I just find these things amusing.