Thursday, March 16, 2006

Oh pleeeeze....

Most people who don't win the Oscar award don't go around saying how much better they are then everyone else and then proceed to whine and moan about it. You lost! Get over it. Heck I don't even remember who won best movie last year, so get over it. There is a good song for this, You can't always get what you want.

Not to mention that there are several problems with her article.

1) The academy can vote for whoever they want. That's the point. And yes, they have voted in some sucky performances before, but "crash" isn't one of them.

2) She accuses the academy of being out of touch with American culture. I agree, but not the way she thinks. She actually believes that "Brokeback Mountain" is what Americans over the entire USA are holding up as their wonderful culture?!? Honey, come visit Montana. These guys wouldn't be caught dead in your movie.

3) She says that "Crash" cheated because they sent out a bunch of DVD's to the voters. No way! You mean they did what every other movie does in trying to win? You can do that, it's legal, and even expected. If you can't shell out a few grand to send your move to the voters, what do you expect? And if you don't have a few grand to shell out, did your movie do well? After all, don't you know what the American people love?

4) The part I take most offense to, calling "Crash" trash. It's not. Now I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, I will when it comes out on video. I am sure it is a well done movie. I am not arguing any of that. But I have seen "Crash" and it is an excellent movie. I was going to write about it before, this article anyway.

If you haven't seen "Crash" you need to. It isn't a pick me up sort of movie, but I think it really exposes all of us. It really is the human condition. We all have parts of us that suck, and we all have parts of us that don't suck as much, and somehow we all have to live together in this crazy world. If you have ever lived in a city, you will get this movie. The thing that really impressed me about this movie is the fact that they dealt with racism, but didn't make it a simple issue or even a black/white issue. It's an us issue. It's not going away anytime soon, you will probably be mistreated at some point in your life. How is that going to define you?

No comments: