Friday, February 17, 2006

I Spoke to Soon

A few days ago, my lovely mother asked me about the cold weather up here and how I am handling it. "Oh, it's really not to bad, it get up to the 30 or 40s most every day, I just dress warmly, we have a good heater, la, la, la. Well, it was true at the time.

Yesterday I woke up to the radio saying that it was 6 degrees outside and our thermometer on the porch said 0 degrees. In a moment of being a total wimp, I tell my husband to just take the car to work, I will not venture forth on this cold morning. He does and is very non-critical of my aforementioned wimpyness.

Today it is -16. Yeah, that's a negative sign. I decided to get over my Southern wimpyness and attempt to function in this land I live in. So I got up and put on numerous layers and drove my husband to work (stopping to pick up his co-worker who's car won't start) and will run errands this afternoon, even if my nose hairs freeze within seconds of stepping outside.

I don't understand how you have a normal life in this weather. School is still on today. So you let your kid wait outside for the bus in this weather? Isn't that close to child abuse? What do you do with kids in this kind of weather. I remember playing outside in the winter and we would huddle around the dryer vent and it was nowhere this cold. When I have a job, I am really going to have to function and not huddle in my condo all day. Grocery shopping is a huge ordeal for me that I make my husband go with me. Little things in life just seem like so much more work then they should be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want the heated bed liner thingy back, I'll get you another one and mail it up there and you can wear it around town with a battery pack!;)

It could become all the fashion.

Anonymous said...

Hey, but you're 'hard-core,' aren't you? Or was that Heather? ;)

Misplaced Texan said...

No, no, I am on the EDGE. As in on the edge of of my coldweather limit.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, that's right...I always get that mixed up... ;)