Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hug me!

An observation about Montana. I have noticed that in church, married couples don't touch each other. They don't hold hands, men don't put their arms around their wives during the service. It's like they are sitting beside each other because they have to. They don't really even talk to each other.

The church I grew up in was not full of PDA. I don't think anyone would ever accuse them of that. Far from it. But you would see husband put their arms around their wives and married couples hold hands. Now that I think about it, dating couples didn't hold hands at church. It was seen as very serious. Not that they didn't hold hands other places, just not at church. I always got the impression that most married couples at church liked each other and enjoyed each others company. Hence one of the reasons that they were married.

Well, I thought that perhaps it is a Southern thing, but when we went to Ohio and visited Lonnie's church, the married couples acted like they liked each other. There were hugs and interaction.

So I am befuddled. I am not saying that people should be making out in the back row, but you married this person and I think that it's OK to show that you like them. My husband and I talk to each other at church and sometimes he puts his arm around me. The pastor made a comment about it once, but I didn't think anything about it until I started watching more couples at church and how they interact. Any thoughts out there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just told Jeremy about this and he said, and I quote "That's weird." I think it's weird too. We don't make out in the back row, but we do hold hands on occasion, and maybe even give a peck or two in the parking lot or a hug on the way in. We aren't anti-church pda, and we do engage in mild displays on a weekly basis. No one else at Gateway seems to be anti-pda either.