Sunday, November 12, 2006

Joy to the WORLD

It's that time of year again when they start playing Christmas music the day after Halloween. When there is a picture of Santa everywhere you go and people think that really tacky anything looks great. ( I mean who ever thought that these are decorative?) But in all truth, I really like Christmas. I love putting up the tree and and setting up an electric train to go around it. I love all the candles that I get to burn. Who doesn't enjoy making gingerbread men with you college roommates or decorating an Aggie tree? Christmas cards are a great chance to catch up with old friends who don't read your blog. And it is fun to be able to pick out a special gift for each person in your family.

Speaking of which, if you are like me and a horrible gift giver and the thought of trying to figure out what you little brother would like who has twice as much money as you makes you break out in a sweat, I have a wonderful solution.

World Vision is a great charity that puts out a gift catalog each year. Have you ever watched the evening news and wondered what you can do? Here is a great way to help the world. There are categories such as: animals, clean water, health care, education, food, and others. Last year I gave my family the gift of a share of a medical clinic in Africa and hope for a girl rescued from the sex trade. My old roommate Betsy always gets me a share of a yurt.

World Vision is a Christian charity, that helps people all over the world regardless of religion or race. One of the things I really appreciate about them is that they attempt to get at the root of poverty and not just give a handout. Here is their main page: www.worldvision.org .
Take a look around and see what they are about. And maybe remember what some of all this Christmas hoopla is about.

No comments: