Friday, November 24, 2006

Turkey Update

Disclaimer: I was informed by my father that he has fixed several whole birds during my lifetime including once when we lived in California and I was about 11 years old. Sorry, Dad, I didn't remember. End of disclaimer.

Several people have asked how the turkey went. Great, and here is the story. First I go with T to the store to help pick out the bird. Turns out that Costco only has one type of turkey. Very LARGE. The smallest one we could find was 20 pounds. So we bought that one. Having been vastly relieved and heartened by this post of T&B, I figured that we could cook it. I looked up various cooking times and temps and gave them all to Miss T. She stuck the turkey in a bag, cooked for several hours and it turned out perfect. Except that we had 19 pounds of turkey left over.

The day before I worked a 12 hour shift, went shopping and cooked until midnight. I made a sweet potato dish related to my mothers with a few changes thrown in. A green bean casserole with a LOT more then 1/8 of a teaspoon of pepper, I also threw in some crushed red pepper. Last, but not least, was my attempt at homemade cranberry sauce which my husband has forebade me to ever make again. The sauce overflowed and it took him an hour to clean the range. The next morning I whipped up some whipped cream with whipping cream, vanilla syrup and cinnamon. And props to my husband for making an apple pie from scratch (even the crust) with a crumb topping.

I used my white tablecloth and napkins that dear Shelly gave me. I then passed out for several hours after dinner on someone else's couch.

2 comments:

The Once and Future TC said...

I call that a complete success! :)

Shelley said...

oh yay i'm glad the tablecloth came in handy! and i got a shout out in the blog! :)

also love your boots and love your espresso machine. i want both of those items now.

also love you. stay warm.