Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The best grilled cheese ever!

I have been thinking about putting some of my cooking ideas on this blog. After reading this blog, I really got inspired. So here it goes, the best grilled cheese ever! This is so good that I serve this for lunch when people come over after church with some soup.

Here are stars: wheat bread (none of that white crap), fresh basil, mozzarella, a little pepper jack cheese, butter and a tomato.




I mean, just look at those beautiful veggies!

Pick the basil off the stems and put the leaves in a nice little pile. This works better if you put the larger leaves on the bottom.


Then you roll the leave up.

And cut them length ways. This is called chiffonade, but we won't use that term again.


Next, slice the tomatoes as thin as you can.

Grate your cheese. You don't need much pepper jack.


Put your butter on your bread. Don't use margarine, nasty stuff. I like to melt my butter in a little bowel and brush it on using a pastry brush.

I am lucky enough to have a cast iron skillet (although my dream is to have the Cuisinart sandwich press). Put your bread on the skillet and place a small amount of mozzarella on the bread.


Next sprinkle some basil on there.
Now for some fresh tomato. I try to buy the ones that are still on the vine. They have a much better flavor.

Next sprinkle just a bit of the jack cheese and a little more mozzarella.


Cover with the other piece of bread and if you have a bacon press, stick that baby on there. Helps it cook faster and keeps your sandwich innards from falling out.

Just look at that beauty. Mr M loves these just the way they are, but if you have a man that must have meat on his sandwich, fry up some bacon and add that as an extra layer.

Tasty, tasty!

2 comments:

Francesca said...

Wow...that looks delicious...gonna try that one out!

Anonymous said...

Brian says, "Lonnie likes buttered beans out of a can so he's not the critic you are looking for, but it does look good." I agree I think it looks really good.