Saturday, December 29, 2007

Old Memories

The Christmas season always makes me think of one of my strangest Christmas memories. I was doing the gift exchange with the family of a guy I dated in college. The guy's mother was a sweet lady, but a little odd. I felt a bit sorry for her as her husband wouldn't let her have a Christmas tree since in the last few years he had decided it was "pagan" without consulting his wife on the matter. So I got her some Christmas tree scented candles since she said she missed the scent of the tree so much. That's me, always promoting martial harmony.

Anyway, her future daughter-in-law (the girl engaged to the brother of the guy I was dating) really outdid me. See Mrs. T had a thing for cats. They had 2 cats and she was always taking pictures of them, getting cute little cat things, she was a cat person. (I always found it odd that the cats didn't actually like her, but that doesn't really pertain to the story.) And since she couldn't have a Christmas tree, thanks to her loving husband, she extracted revenge by decorating the entire house in snowmen.

Really, snowmen everywhere. The guest bathroom had snowmen towels, snowman soap dispenser, and a snowman picture. That was just the bathroom under the stairs. One entire counter in the kitchen was taken up with stuffed snowmen. Don't forget snowmen dishes, snowmen blankets, and snowmen candle holders. You name it, she had it. Or so I thought.

The future Mrs. T presented her future mother-in-law with the most hideous sweater I have ever seen. A red button down sweater with snowmen appliqué that are really snowcats! Snowmen with pointy ears and whiskers. There is something to be said for being creative, I am all about creativity, but this was creativity gone very bad. She loved it. No, no, she was ecstatic about it. She showed it off at all times. Mrs. T had it on every time I saw her for the next 2 months. I just tried my best not to say anything.

I have tried my best to dig up a picture of the horrible thing, but alas someone has realized that a good sweater, it does not make and is not making it anymore. Too bad.

2 comments:

Make Mine a Triple said...

A Google image search for "snowman cat" produces some examples from the apparently extensive snowman-cat genre, though none of a sweater that appears to match your description. It was nevertheless instructive.

By the way, your blog already shows up as one of the top results for "snowcat sweater." :)

Francesca said...

Finally got around to reading this! I think it's hilarious. ;)